Reading and Phonics schemes at The James Oglethorpe Primary School
For information on how you can help your child with learning their sounds please click here.
We follow the DFE letters and sounds scheme for Phonics teaching.
This is supplemented with aspects of Jolly Phonics, for example the Jolly Phonics actions
We also use Phonics Bug and Phonics play in our teaching. All children have passwords to Bug Club for reading.
- Phonics Bug meets 100% of the DfE criteria for teaching systematic synthetic phonics and helps children succeed in their screening check to boot!
- Encourages young readers with beautiful artwork, humour, loveable characters and books and topics they really want to read.
- Fast, effective phonics lessons using CBeebies videos and interactive whiteboard activities.
- Prepare and Assess online games, word generator and mock tests for the Year 1 screening check.
- Brilliantly combines an online reading world with stunning eBooks and beautiful printed books to spark enthusiasm.
http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ Login jops Password rm143nb
We teach reading through the bug club and phonics bug scheme by Pearsons.
- Raise reading and spelling attainment across your school in boys and girls alike, with Bug Club’s beautiful books, online reading world, planning support, assessment tools and professional development.
- Nurture confident bookworms with over 500 finely-levelled books and eBooks featuring popular characters children know and love like Shrek, Doctor Who, Lego, and Timmy Time.
- Spark enthusiasm with online quizzes, games and rewards to make reading even more fun.
- Build a well-rounded picture of progress and attainment, and performance against Age Related Expectations with Bug Club’s new integrated ‘Progress and Assess’ tools and tests.
https://youtu.be/CQkAywoy2Ew - link to video about Bug Club
DFE 'Learning together' leaflets for new Reception parents
|Children as artists||Making their mark|
|Going out to play and learn||Maths is everywhere|
|Making a noise for music||Science all around|
|Helping children with their behaviour||Numbers leaflet|
|The road to reading||Letter and sound leaflet|
What We Have Been Doing
Get a copy of our newsletter here
Here is some of our work